History – Eaton Family

1908: Emanuel Eaton, Signer of road petition, is living on Tax parcel 4.

1910 Federal Census: Wife Margaret 63 married about 1870. Son Harry F. age 24, and Clark age 22 1911 Polk Directory: Emanuel Eaton and Sons, Towing.

George Eaton, Rancher (another son.) in1908 Emanuel Eaton is living on Tax 4 along Fish Harbor and was of several men who petitioned the County for a road between the fish harbor wharf that the community had built and about three-fourths of a mile on to the main community of houses.

1910 Census: Emanuel, wife Margarite and sons Harry and Clark are there. It states that the family members were all born in Ohio. Emanuel is 68, Margarite 63, Harry 24 and Clark 22.

1911 Polk Directory: Harry Eaton is listed as a rancher.

1915 Polk Directory: School District # 13 lists George Eaton as Clerk of the District

1920 Census: Margarite 72 is Manager of her own farm Harry 33 and Clark 31 are listed as farmers working with her.

1925: Clark and Harry Eaton own property not on the harbor front but close by.

1928: Mrs. Clark (Lola-Mae) Eaton was one of three Directors of the Coyle School 1941 Mrs. Clark (Lola-Mae) Eaton wrote a brief history of Coyle for a publication called the Hood Canal Kitchen Kapers.

1952 C. A. Eaton property at head of harbor – Harry Eaton property included most of Hazel Point.

P. T. Leader, 25 Aug 1932: Obituary for Margaret Marshall Eaton, Resident at Coyle since 1909. Married Emmanuel 1870. Had five sons and one daughter: J.M. Eaton of Centrailia/ Dr. W. H. Eaton of Tacoma/ George Eaton of South Bend/H.F. (Harry) Eaton of Coyle, and Clark Eaton of Mason County. Daughter died 27 years previous to Mrs. Eaton.

P. T. Leader, 27 Oct 1993 Obituary for Lola-Mae Eaton States that she started teaching in 1923 at Hoodsport Married Clark Eaton in 1925. Retired from teaching in 1968.

In Phone Interview with Margaret Eaton Enders on 1 February 2006, Port Angeles: Daughter of Clark and Lola Mae Eaton. Margaret had a twin sister, Virginia, and a brother, Clark Junior. Lola Mae was born in Missouri before her family moved to Eastern Washington. Lola trained to be a teacher and her first job was at the Coyle School. Young Clark Eaton had been sent to the dock to meet the boat that she came in on and to show her to the accommodations arranged for the new teacher.

The two were later married and started their family while Lola Mae continued her teaching career. She also taught at Hoodsport for a while and then at Quilcene for another several years. When it came time to deliver her twin daughters, a boat took her to the hospital at the Port Gamble Mill.

They lived a rural home life, keeping a cow for their milk, and chickens to have eggs to use and sell (these were sold in Port Townsend and Quilcene). Lola Mae made fresh bread to sell to her neighbors. Clark had a large garden to feed the family while Lola Mae canned all that she could get to store for the family cupboards. She often got fresh fruit from relatives in Eastern Washington to can for her family. Margaret and her siblings spent their free time hiking and swimming when they were not working or going to school. The family picked wild blackberries and Huckleberries to sell in Quilcene.

Clark and his brother Harry had a fishing boat and usually left to fish the Alaska waters each May, and returned each September. They sometimes fished locally off of Point Roberts when they were able. Clark hunted and often took his children along.

The schoolhouse was the center of the community. Birthday parties, dances, holiday celebrations, and special events took place there. As a school, the attendants did a lot of rising and falling over the years. There was a period of a few months when the only students were Margaret and her sister Virginia. Mrs. Wyckoff was the teacher for the Eaton girls from the third thru the eighth grades. They then went on to high school in Quilcene.

The first year they attended Quilcene High School the twins boarded at Mrs. Wyckoff’s house, who lived in Quilcene by 1941. By their sophomore year, regular bus service to Coyle was operating and the girls were able to live at home during the school year. Margaret left for nursing school and in 1946 was working at the Port Townsend Hospital.

A Toandos Community note on July 18 1946 stated that Margaret was finally able to come home after several weeks of working the swing shift at the Hospital. He had been unable to get back home on her limited time off due to the great distance. She left the Toandos Community shortly after.

Margaret meet her future husband Leonard Enders at the occasion of Clark Easton’s 60th birthday celebration held at the old school house. Leonard had been a visiting friend who had been invited to the party. Margaret and Leonard were married for fifty-eight years. Leonard died in 2005.